Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Another Correlation of Distance

I had forgotten about this but there is a way to translate the line attenuation that is seen by the hub that connects us to our Exchange and what that translates to in terms of distance.  My hub shows the following:
The important number is the

Line attenuation (Down/Up): 54.5 dB / 30.0 dB

as this number, the Down one of 54.5, can be input to the following website:

http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php
 
which will tell you what the maximum speed possible is on your line, and more importantly for my purpose here, how far we are from the exchange.  My output is as shown below:

This distance, 4km, does help to confirm my estimates in regards to our distance from the Exchange, and correspondingly, my estimates of improvements possible if FTTC, or Fibre to the Cabinet, were implemented for us.

You can find your own line attenuation through the admin menu of your hub.   If you are using BT then in your browser enter 192.168.1.254.  Click on "Settings" then on "Advanced Settings".   User name and password should be admin and admin.  Click on "Broadband" then select "Connection".

No comments:

Post a Comment